When it comes to protecting yourself from the wind, it may be hard if you’re at the beach. If you can find the best beach canopy for wind protection, however, it’s a good place to start. We’ll show you which options are available and tell you more about beach canopies.
Quick Look: Our Top Picks
Why do I need one?
If you want to hang out at the beach for more than a few moments, you’ll need a place to sit. While you may remember being able to hang out with just a blanket or towel, now you need to have more protection from the elements. You’ll need an umbrella or canopy to keep you protected from the sun’s rays, wind, and even some of the moisture from the water. Otherwise, you may not be able to enjoy yourself.
What to Look For
When you first set out choosing a beach canopy, you need to have a solid idea of what you want. Here are the things you should keep in mind before you look at any products.
- The price: Your budget is important when you’re buying any type of item because brand names can make something cost a lot more. In the case of a canopy, you can get away with buying lesser-known brands and still get a lot of value. Many options are available for less than a hundred dollars and will be able to do everything you need them to do.
- The features: Nearly all the products out there have some extra features that set them apart from the rest. In some cases, that might mean they have windows in the event that you want to get some sun, and other times there may be storage pockets or carrying cases. Figure out if any of these things are important to you and see if you can find options that appeal to you with these features.
- The weight: If you are the one that is going to be carrying this canopy around from place to place, weight is a huge consideration. It’s not a good idea to purchase something that you can’t carry around yourself. The plus side is that there are many lightweight models, so you should be covered.
- The size: You will want protection for all the members of your family, so you have to be certain that you find something that will accommodate everyone. Since these products come in all different sizes, you’ll likely be able to find one large enough for you and yours.
- Usage: In some cases, beaches have rules as to how big a tent, canopy, or umbrella can be. Make sure that the ones you’re looking at follow any rules at the beaches you’ll be going to, so you will be able to use it while on vacation. If you also keep in mind how much you plan to use this one, it will give you a better idea of how long you need it to last.
- Other items: When you have a general idea of what other items you’ll take to the beach with you, this allows you to know how much extra space you require. If you have an ice chest and a surfboard, you’ll need more room than if you just intend to take chairs. Most items are quite roomy and can be utilized with beach chairs or without.
Setting it Up
There is more than one way to set up a canopy, much like there is more than one way to set up a tent. If you have trouble assembling things, you’ll need a pop-up option, but if you are experienced at setting things up, you can get one that takes a little bit of manual labor. Both types can be beneficial and most products have pockets to help weigh down the canopy or secure it into the sand for more stability.
Besides just protecting you from the wind, almost all canopies have a great amount of sun protection. This means even your baby will be protected while sitting under one since you won’t have to worry about UV rays. What’s even better is that they usually have lots of ventilation as well, so you can get a nice breeze, even on a hot day.
There are different styles of canopies for the beach, but many people trust the umbrella or beach style tents. The cabana types are much larger and can be quite expensive. They are also unlikely to be able to protect you from the wind as well as other types. At the same time, they can accommodate many more people and are good for special beach events. It’s your choice what type you want to purchase. Just make sure that you keep all these things in mind before you buy one for your family.
Our Top 5 Picks for the Best Beach Canopy for Wind
This bright blue tent is large enough for up to five people to use, especially if there are no chairs involved. It has windows for ventilation and has a floor as well, so you don’t have to sit in the sand.
- Lightweight: This item only weighs around six pounds, so even a child could carry it if they had to.
- Has five sand pockets: There are five sand pockets to fill up with sand when you get to the beach. These are for weighing the product down so it will stand up to heavy winds.
- Easy to put up: It sets up rather easily and comes down the same way. It isn’t instant but it should only take a few moments to put up.
- Comes with a one-year warranty: There is a one-year warranty, so if it breaks or messes up somehow, you may be able to get your shelter replaced.
- Have to weigh it down: It is unlikely to be able to protect you from heavy wind gusts if it isn’t weighed down with the sand bags. You will also weigh it down when you sit in it, which can help out a lot.
This item is a lot like an umbrella but has extra material on the sides to keep you better protected. It will not only keep the wind away, but it can also protect you from radiation, rain, and from getting too hot. There are also anchor cords and stakes for days that are really windy, to keep this canopy in place.
- Unique shape: It’s essentially an umbrella, so if you know how to open one of them, you should be able to set this one up.
- Blocks majority of sun’s rays: The top is coated, so it blocks over 99 percent of the sun’s rays from harming you.
- Repels water: It also repels water, so even if you get caught in a light shower, you can stay dry when you’re using it.
- Made of steel parts: The important parts of this product are made of steel. This gives it more strength and keeps it from wearing out easily.
- May not fit in all trunks: If you plan to keep this in your trunk, you may want to measure first. Even when placed in its case, it is rather long and may not be able to fit.
If you have any Coleman products for camping, you probably know how many extras there are. This one not only has a line to hang your clothes, but it also has a waterproof floor and sandbags to keep it in place.
- Has a large window: Almost the entire back of the shade can be unzipped to get better wind flow. This helps you stay cool and can keep bugs away, while still allowing some sunshine through.
- Big enough for a whole family: A whole family can use this beach tent, especially if there are no chairs being used. It can also hold a lot of extra gear if you tend to pack heavy for the beach.
- Can be assembled in a few minutes: You will have to put this one together using poles, but it will just take a couple of minutes. There are only three poles to worry about and then you can enjoy it.
- Have to be patient with it: Just like when you’re putting a tent together, you have to take your time pulling the poles through. Otherwise, they may break or crack, which means you’d have a product you’re unable to use.
This cabana-style canopy offers you a lot of room, as well as a tall roof to keep everyone happy. It has all the sandbags, lines, and stakes you’ll need in order to use it, and it comes with a carry case too.
- Protects from sun, wind, and rain: In addition to just working as a protector from the wind, it also will allow you to stay dry and provide shelter from the sun because of the specially-coated material it’s made of.
- Has storage pockets: There are storage pockets all over this tent. This means you can keep your cell phone or tablet up off the ground and you shouldn’t lose your keys or wallet.
- Lots of open space: This one has a lot of space because there aren’t any walls keeping you closed in. There is plenty of airflow as well as ventilation.
- Will still sway in the wind: Even though there are lines and stakes, this one will still shake a bit in the wind. This is okay when it’s secured properly though, and it shouldn’t lead to it flying away.
This little gem comes in different colors and is perfect if you are going to the beach by yourself or with your small family. It doesn’t have as much room as some other models, but it does have UV protection and sets up in seconds.
- Pop-up design: This one is simple to put up. You really just have to take it out of the bag and it does all the work for you.
- Can be fully closed: You can zip up the whole tent if you need to change or have a need for privacy. It can also be opened when you want to relax and get some fresh air.
- Has steel frame: The frame is made of steel, which means this product is strong and will hold up well over time. You won’t have to worry about it breaking easily.
- Features large window: There is a large window in the back that lets you get a great amount of ventilation. It can also be closed if you get too cold.
- Too small for a large family: This is not likely the item you’ll want if you have a large family. It is only suited for three people, and you won’t have room for large chairs.
When you need a beach canopy that blocks the wind well, you don’t have to look very far. There are many options that are affordable and easy to use. The one that is the most intriguing in this list is the Coleman DayTripper Beach Shade.
It has enough room for a whole family and has all the extras you would expect the brand to give you. There is a large window that can be opened, many extra storage pockets, and plenty of ventilation to make sure you stay as cool as possible.
Besides that, there are a handful of sandbags, wires, and stakes to keep you on the ground properly, whether you’re on the sand or somewhere else. You can be protected from the wind, rain, sun, and mist from the water with this really cool product.
You do have to be careful when you put it up and disassemble it, but you can always order replacement parts if something goes wrong. You can even sit in chairs inside of it, which is not something that all of these items allow you to do. This is a great canopy to buy, no matter the size of your family. You can start enjoying more time on the beach, without risking wind burns and sunburns. This really is the best beach canopy!