What is a sand anchor?
If you have ever tried to use an umbrella at the beach, you may be aware that it’s sometimes hard to keep it from blowing away or staying upright. A sand anchor is a device that can secure your umbrella into the ground, so you stay protected from the wind and the sun at all times. It is able to be twisted into the ground to stay firm and resembles an auger in appearance. They come in many shapes and sizes, as well as a handful of colors.
It’s really just a piece of pipe that is fastened to your umbrella to make one unit. What happens is that you twist the anchor into the sand and then use the screws or some other type of connector to secure your umbrella to it. It’s easy to use and can save you from having to chase your umbrella all day.
What is it for?
While you may not think you need a product like this, it can come in very handy when you’re on the beach or trying to get some fresh air outside as well. Since the device has threads, you should be able to twist it deep into the ground, especially if you are trying to place it in the sand. It is designed to help you keep your umbrella exactly where you want it, so you don’t have to worry about flyaway umbrellas. It can allow protection from the wind as well.
What to Look For
The first thing you’ll need to do is find a beach umbrella that you’ll want to use. Then, you’ll need to be sure that you know if the sand anchor you have chosen is compatible or not. In most cases, these anchors will be able to work with pretty much any type of umbrella, so that shouldn’t be much of a problem.
There are a few types of sand anchors that you can find, from relatively simple to rather sophisticated ones.
These types include plain options, which are just a tube and a handle, so you will be able to get some leverage. There are also types that connect to a table, so you can set your most important belongings on it.
Some versions are electric, meaning you don’t have to do any of the digging yourself. Finally, there are models that come with an umbrella already, so you won’t have to purchase anything else.
They can also be made of a couple of different types of materials. Most are made from plastic that has been treated, making it stronger so that it won’t break down. Others are made of metal or wood. It’s up to you which type you want to buy since all of them are able to do the same job for you.
Furthermore, there is the issue of regular grade versus professional grade. The professional type will be stronger, but they will also cost you more money. Do your research before buying any type, so you can check out the features and possible weaknesses of each item.
Most of them are lightweight and can be kept where you store your umbrella when it’s not in use. They are also small enough, allowing you to always have it with you. Perhaps you can even store it in your car’s trunk in the summer months. You will have it at all times, even if you’re taking an impromptu trip.
Is it hard to use?
No one should have a problem using this type of gadget because it is very easy to place it into the ground. There is little effort involved, even if you aren’t skilled at digging. There should be little effort expended on your part.
It just takes a minute or two and you’re ready to enjoy your day. Since it usually will be situated in sand, it’s that much easier to utilize as well, so it shouldn’t give you any headaches. Most options come with a warranty, in case something goes wrong or doesn’t work properly. This can protect you in case of any breakage.
Some people may have trouble with their umbrellas moving around anyway, but, when you have it securely in the ground, that shouldn’t be a problem. You should always be aware of what the wind is like in the area you’re in, so you’ll know if you should even be out there, much less with an umbrella. You may also need a stronger model if you live somewhere that has strong winds for most of the year.
This is a simple product composed of treated plastic, to give you the support and strength that you can count on at the beach. It is solid white in color and has collapsible handles, meaning it’s highly portable. It also fits on most models of umbrellas and it doesn’t weigh much either.
- Can withstand 50 mph winds: This one should be able to hold in place even when strong winds are passing through. There’s no reason you can’t use it in windy weather.
- Handles are foldable: There are two handles on this product that you can fold up, so it’s easier to store. You can place it in any beach bag or something else, keeping it handy at all times.
- Replacement warranty: There is also a replacement warranty associated with this anchor, so if it becomes damaged or doesn’t work, you may be covered in that aspect.
- May take some getting used to: While the process of using it is straightforward, it may still take some practice before you can secure it in place properly. You may also need to check the ground to be sure that it is safe enough to protect you.
2. Sand Grabber 10009 Beach Umbrella Anchor
This product is also white in color and comes with everything you need. You simply twist the anchor into place until you reach the disc, which tells you that you’ve dug deep enough. It has been tested for more than 20 years to see how well it works.
- Constructed of metal: This one is actually painted metal, which makes it sturdy. You don’t have to worry as much about breaking or weakness since steel is such a strong material.
- All one piece: The design looks a little different than some other models because this one has a handle, a disc, and a special type of coil on the bottom. Each of these things helps make the product work as described.
- Holds up well: Since it’s made of strong metal, there isn’t much to worry about in the long run. When used and stored properly, it should be able to be used for a long time, over many beach trips and summers.
- Could be prone to rusting: It is possible for it to become rusty, but this shouldn’t really impact the integrity of the item. It will more likely just affect the look of it.
3. Ohuhu Beach Umbrella Sand Anchor
The Ohuhu Beach sand anchor is a product that is designed to be as strong as possible and easy enough for anyone to be able to use. It has reinforced handles and has a design with a couple of extras to keep you covered.
- Has a five tier screw design: Many products have three screw designs, but this one has five. This means that it will go into the ground further, leaving you sure that your umbrella is anchored into place properly.
- Guaranteed not to crack: Even though it’s made out of plastic, it is designed not to crack. There is not only a 12-month warranty to protect you from this, but there is also a lifetime guarantee on the device.
- Works well with many types of umbrellas: Another great feature is that it works great in conjunction with pretty much any type of umbrella, including different lengths and sizes.
- May perform differently depending on sand type: It won’t work the same in all types of sand. If the sand is too loose or doesn’t feel secure, your umbrella can still blow away. Be sure that everything is anchored in place well before you get situated.
4. George J Marshall Plastic Beach Umbrella Anchor
This is a plastic anchor that comes in number of colors so it isn’t just your run-of-the-mill white. It has everything you need to dig it into the sand properly, without harming yourself or leaving your umbrella at risk.
- Great for winds up to 40 mph: You should have no problem with your umbrella staying in place, as long as the winds are below 40 mph. This is rather high but can be fairly common, depending on the beach you go to.
- Ergonomic handle: The handle is ergonomic, so anyone can use this one without too much trouble. It shouldn’t hurt your hands or back to use it either since the item does most of the work for you.
- Tightens with a thumbscrew: There is a thumb screw that you use to tighten the anchor to your umbrella. Make sure it is secure and be certain that the item is fastened properly.
- Must be careful with it: This one is made of plastic, so you have to be a little careful with it. If you drop it or don’t store it properly, it is capable of becoming damaged a bit, which could affect how well it works.
5. Kovot Beach Umbrella Sand Anchor
This standard sand anchor comes in bright blue or orange, which can really set you apart from the crowd. It’s able to stand up well wherever you put it up, and it won’t be hard to get all set up either. It is compatible with most umbrellas and it’s made of strong plastic. You won’t have to worry about rusting or it breaking down over time.
- Easy to use: The handles allow for you to not have to do too much work when you’re using this. A couple of twists are all you need to get stuck in place.
- Works in sand or ground: Besides just beach areas, you can put it into any type of soft ground. You can essentially set it up anywhere.
- Great for windy conditions: The wind is no match for this product. It is able to withstand lots of wind, gusts, and even windy days. It secures to your umbrella of choice well, meaning you won’t be worried all day.
- No frills: This item is rather plain, but it does get the job done with no trouble. Furthermore, it is able to do the job easily and nearly everyone can utilize it.
When you’re in the market for a sand anchor, the best pick is the Ohuhu Beach Umbrella Sand Anchor. The main reason is that it has a longer area that twists into the ground.
In other words, you will have a more solid foundation for your umbrella with the five screw length than with the standard three screw length. This item also has a warranty and guarantees to protect the consumer against many of the problems that can come up. You should get your money’s worth when you buy this one.
If you’re more interested in a metal variety, you can try the Sand Grabber 10009 Beach Umbrella Anchor. It has been tested for over 20 years and is trusted by many. It may rust a little bit, but that shouldn’t affect the quality or efficiency of the product at all.
Both of these items can hold up in wind gusts and can offer security for your umbrella. They are both good deals and can help you out tremendously over the seasons and years. Check them out and decide for yourself which one you’d like to use. It’s worth it not to have to track down your umbrella and being able to go to the beach even on the windiest of days. The best beach umbrella sand anchor can do that for you.