While you can boogie board at any age, it is especially fun for kids to take part in. You used to just be able to purchase inexpensive foam boards to enjoy, but now there are higher quality boards that can last a long time. Keep reading to find out how to find your child the best boogie board, so they can keep enjoying themselves out on the water.
Quick Look: Our Top Picks
What is a boogie board?
A boogie board, which is also known as a bodyboard, is a bit like a surfboard, except you don’t have to stand up on it to use it. This is one of the main reasons why it is something that children enjoy using. They are able to ride waves without having to know how to surf skillfully. Additionally, it is a lot safer for them to use boogie boards.
There are different options when it comes to quality boards out there. This is a good thing for you because it means that there are also boards that will fit into most budgets. At the same time, it’s a good idea to spend a little bit more on a board if you know that your child will use it a lot. If your kiddo is more interested in fads and won’t use it for longer than one season, you can purchase a less expensive board and be just fine.
Most boards are designed well and will hold up from season to season, especially when they are taken care of properly.
Finding the Correct Size
Just like with other type of boards, the height and weight of the rider will determine how long and wide the board needs to be. As a general rule, a younger child should have a board that is around 33 inches, although they may need a larger one if they are on the taller side.
You might want to take some time to do a couple of measurements of your children and look at charts online to determine if you are getting the correct size. You don’t want them trying to go out on the water with the wrong equipment because they may lose control of their boards or something worse.
It is worth it to do a little bit of research on boards in general beforehand so you can make an informed decision when it comes down to choosing the board itself.
Taking Care of the Board
A quality boogie board can be waxed just like a surfboard can. This will help it last longer, make it easier to ride, and may even make the board a little bit safer. Of course, you don’t have to wax this type of board, but it may be beneficial to teach your young surfer a bit of responsibility and how to take care of something that they like to use.
If your kid uses the board quite often, you can also invest in a bag to carry it in. This means it will not get bumped and dinged, and you can always know where it is. You can simply wear it on your shoulders and have it with you each time you go to the beach, so your little guy or girl will always be ready to ride the waves.
Sometimes there are extra features in board models, which is something you may be interested in.
For example, some boards may have a tether that allows your offspring to secure themselves to it, allowing them to keep track of it at all times. This is especially helpful if you have a child that is a bit on the forgetful side or loses things from time to time.
Another extra is fins. Some boards have fins that come standard. These can help the board fly through the water better, but are by no means a necessity. In some cases, they are removable so you can take them off until your child becomes a stronger board rider.
Many items come in various designs and colors, allowing you to be able to find one in your kid’s favorite color, or something that they will enjoy. The colors are not likely to fade or start to wear off, so they should stay looking new for quite a while.
A Word of Caution
It is important to note that if any board you purchase becomes damaged, you should return it or replace it. A board that has what seems like a minor defect may not be able to perform its duties anymore. This means your child may be using an item that isn’t safe, which is not something that you want. It’s best to inspect your board after every use to make sure that it’s always working in tip-top shape and you can be sure there is no damage and be confident when your child is out on the water using it.
This product is made by a small company, so it’s not produced in a large factory. It comes in three colors and is able to hold up well when you take care of it. Besides that, it is easy to use no matter what size person is riding it.
- Made by a small company. This family company takes the time to email every purchaser, in order to give them information on how to care for the board. They are also handy when it comes to customer service.
- Comes with premium fins and leash. There is a well made leash as well as fins that are provided with this one. You won’t have to purchase any extras.
- Lightweight. The construction allows for this one to be lightweight. It is a foam board that has a top coating, so the rider can be comfortable lying on top of it.
- Coated bottom. The bottom is coated so that it rides through the waves well, without a lot of choppiness.
- Must be careful with it. The top may bubble up if it isn’t taken care of properly. This is another reason why the company emails instructions to each of its customers.
This board looks simple but is a little more sophisticated than it looks. It comes with all the tethers you need and offers three different designs to choose from. It doesn’t weigh much and is made of materials that should hold up as long as it is stored the right way.
- Comes with fin tethers. There are fin tethers as well as a hand tether on this board. This means that even if a young child is using it, they will never lose their board or any parts of it.
- Simple design. The design is simple, but the coated bottom allows for it to be comfortable in different wave sizes, which is also good for users of different skill sets.
- Has channels on bottom. There are also channels on the bottom of it, so it will be able to move smoother through the water. There’s also a special tail that will help you glide through the water easier.
- May become damaged. Like most products, this board may become damaged if it is used too much or in an improper manner. However, it has a 1-year warranty, so you’ll have protection from dents and scrapes.
This board comes in a number of different styles and with a wrist strap leash so you can always keep up with it. It is much like other products except that the designs are more distinctive and colorful.
- Silkscreen graphics. The graphics are silkscreened on, so they have a bit of flair on them. This also makes the boards bright in color. It’s even made from polyethylene on the bottom and the top, which allows it to be lightweight.
- Designed for beginners. This board is designed for beginners to use because it has extra design frills but not really anything too hard to figure out.
- Able to move fast. The bottom of the board allows it to move quickly across the waves so that your boarder may be able to learn quickly when they use this one.
- Top may irritate skin. If you aren’t wearing a shirt, the top of the board may irritate the skin a little bit. Take precautions so you don’t get a rash from leaning on the board too much. Additionally, make sure you are caring for your board properly as well, so it doesn’t start to break down.
This board comes in very bright colors so your little one can pick one that they want to use. The board itself is very lightweight, weighing less than 2 pounds. It’s also designed to hold up very well over many uses.
- Strong construction. It is made with high-tech processes that make it stronger and able to stay put together without any damage.
- EPS core. There is an EPS core in this one to keep it rigid, and it is able to resist water. This means it should always work well, no matter the surf conditions.
- Great for learning. Since so much technology went into making this body, it is a great one for your child to learn with. It is high quality and will not easily break down.
- Has 60/40 rails. This product has rails that allow it to move across the water with ease. This is the same type of rails that are used in some models of surfboards.
- Leash may become unattached. You will still have to be careful with this board, even though it’s made well. Little parts can still pop off of it if you are rough with it.
This board is designed to hold up, no matter what type of water you use it in. Besides that, it comes in different sizes, so you can upgrade if you choose to as your child grows. It comes with a leash and is protected by a warranty.
- Good for different wave types. This one is able to perform in different types of waves. This makes it great for doing tricks as you become more skilled at using it.
- Comes in different colors. It comes in a few different colors, all of which are bright and will be easy to spot in the water.
- Strong construction. The bottom is made from polyethylene and the middle is EPS, which makes the whole board rather strong.
- Lifetime guarantee. There is a lifetime guarantee associated with this product, so you can replace it if it ever becomes damaged or doesn’t work properly anymore. This is true if you just don’t like it as well.
- May want to replace leash. Even though this one comes with a leash, you may want to upgrade it right away. Then you can be sure that it won’t come unattached from the board.
Finding a boogie board for your child is important because you want it to be safe and work properly each time they use it. The best one in this list is the Younger 33-inch Super Bodyboard because it is made from the best materials. Most options are made of only foam, but this one has an EPS core and is plastic on the top and bottom. This makes it more resistant to not only scratches, but any other type of damage.
It also comes standard with a leash and can ride waves of all types without the rider having to work too hard. However, the best part is that it is a good value because you will be unlikely to have to replace it. There is little wrong with the board itself, and they come in longer models in case your child wants to keep using boogie boards as they grow up. You can stick with a company you trust.
Do yourself a favor and check out each of these boards, so you can begin to see your little boarder in action. You probably won’t be sorry and you may end up having just as much fun as they do.